[Barbara] We would've never thought we were gonna move into a trailer.
Never in a million years.
[Brad] Probably the most expensive trailer park in the United States.
- [laughing] Definitely the most expensive.
[intriguing music] - A little over a year ago, I got a job with Google.
- I came out in 2013 to work for Google.
- We didn't qualify for any of the Section 8 housing, and so- but we couldn't afford the traditional homes.
- The rent was, like, 2,100, uh, for a studio.
- So we were really looking for a place that had enough room.
- So what was left- and that was, that was Santiago Villa.
- I depend on my, uh, Social Security to pay all my bills.
[Steve] The mobile home park, it makes moving into a home achievable for us.
- For the first time in my life, I have my own home.
There's a house listed in Palo Alto for $64 million.
I mean, $64 million.
Fif- compared to 54,000.
[chuckling] I mean- But I probably appreciate this maybe more than they appreciate that 64-million-dollar house.
♪ [Sara] There's a catch to this version of the American dream.
It's about who owns the land.
Like the people I've been meeting at Santiago Villa, most mobile home park residents own their homes, but not the land they live on.
They have to pay rent for that.
And in most states, park owners can raise those rents almost any time they want to, by as much as they want to.
[indistinct chatting] - Every night, the sun sets in those three windows, so I have- Until Google builds their five-story building out there, I have the most splendid sunsets every night.
[solemn music] [Barbara] The lot lease is really scary because Google is buying up everything.
[Brad] We're vulnerable to- [Barbara] Vulnerable.
[Brad] Change, to other people making new decisions that will affect us.
[Barbara] Some pays- like, we'll have to rob Peter to pay Paul.
[Brad] Buy 50% less groceries.
- I mean, how many jobs can we work to pay land lease?
- I don't, I don't know what we would do.
That looks delicious.
What's your favorite part?
[Barbara chuckling] - My favorite part is you guys.