Well, when I watched the tapes, it became very clear to me that, that I needed to go to where my father was born.
- Oh, Jimmy.
He's got a lot of our family history.
- But yeah, Richard was born in Waterloo.
- And we had a great time together.
He was like my little brother.
He was following me around and all that.
- He felt like you were his brother, 'cause he, you know, he's the only child.
And I'm the only child.
- We call him Uncle Jimmy, but it's his cousin, because their mothers were sisters.
- No, I was an only kid.
So he was my companion.
I talk to him all the time.
He's one of my buddies, you know?
- He's here in L.A., and so I, I just reached out to him and I told him what I was doing.
I talked him into going to Waterloo, Iowa.
- By GPS, or can you get us there?
[Jimmy] No, we can get there, I'll direct it.
Old school GPS.
[Jimmy] Old, old school GPS!
(contemplative piano music)